Monday, June 14, 2010

How to Grow Clouds - making

To maintain a sense of unity I wanted everything to be portrayed using only watercolours. In order to achieve this illusion of a Japanese watercolor, the base for everything (puppets, clothes, animals, scenography) had to be watercolour-friendly, white and needed to look like it was made from paper. Therefore as my main materials I used plaster to cover wood/ cardboard constructions, paper-mache and white fabric for background.



I wanted my puppets to have a wide range of movement which would correspond to the fluidity of their environment, so after several trials with wood and wire I choose to make my figures from metal armature with ball and socket joints from metal balls and bicycle chain parts. Even their hands had flexible fingers which allowed for a fluid transition from one frame to the next.




2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your animation. It was one of the highlights of the degree show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I went to see the Degree Show and really, really loved your work! I'm hoping to possibly apply to GSA next year and seeing the amazing work at the Visual Communications section has really swayed my interest to that area.

    I adored stop motion, and I thought your work was incredibly beautiful as a piece of storytelling - as well as in how clear it was to see the amount of thought and work that had gone into it. It's amazing to read about how you made the puppets and achieved depicting the story on-screen perfectly and uniquely.

    Fantastic and inspiring! :)

    - Saskia

    ReplyDelete